What you’ll be doing...
The Interconnect Engineer is responsible for providing complete technical oversight and project management for transport network expansion projects. These projects focus on the expansion of the EBH, dark fiber, and microwave network. The candidate will be responsible for development and issuance of RFP documents to fiber providers, managing the proposal response cycle, comparison and selection of bids, working with HQ/Territorial planning organizations to develop business cases for route expansions, and working with the contracts group in developing and executing the dark fiber IRU contracts.
- Tasked with providing technical support and project management for the design, acquisition, and implementation for all equipment supporting Network infrastructure projects including, but not limited to EBH Optical transport systems and Nokia/Cisco Routers (such as 7750, SR-a8s, 7705) deployed throughout the VZW Network or Microwave point-to point or point to multi-point installations.
- Tasked to lead a switch’s Build Plan/In-Building/Small Cell deployment plan to support capacity demands and lead in the deployment/network migration towards CRAN design in the UAC/CMA markets.
- Tasked with providing technical support on the Switch activities for reliability and regrooming to support business needs while reducing Expense costs (Direct Tel, Power, etc.).
- Tasked with the development of an engineering database for documentation of all fiber assets; plant, FDP panels, and IRU contract management.
- Microwave design/review. Regulatory filings as well as implementation management.
- Complete Vendor Management responsibility including selection, contract negotiation, RFP and ongoing relationships.
- Financial responsibility for multi-million capital dollar projects – establishing business cases, developing and managing budgets, procurement and bill payments.
- Financial responsibility for multi-million expense budget – driving costs for new or renewed circuits down, finding alternatives vendors/designs and timing of circuit delivery to support capital and expense plans.
- Decision making authority with respect to all of the above duties. It also interfaces constantly with higher levels of the management team across various organizations as part of the process of managing all facets of large, complex infrastructure deployments.
- The position regularly works with Network planning on strategic initiatives, to develop future technology solutions, and features and growth jobs on existing products that support our infrastructure.
- The position regularly works with other group’s forecasts to ensure equipment growth projects meet expectant demands in support of the company’s objectives.
- Vendor Management responsibility including engineering/design, managing budgets, procurement, and complete project management ensuring objectives are met in accordance with stated timelines.
- Knowledge and proficiency in one or more of the following platforms and/or technologies:
- ALU/Nokia and Cisco Routers
- Digital Communications including: Fiber, Ethernet
- Wireless voice and data service including: EVDO, CDMA, LTE
Test equipment including: JDSU & EXFO, spectrum analyzers, path analyzers
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
•Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience
• A minimum of 5-7 years of experience in the cellular/telecommunications industry in an Engineering role.
- In depth knowledge and advanced proficiency in Data Router and Optical Transport systems including: Ciena, Alcatel-Lucent
- Knowledge of Pathloss 5 microwave design software
- Knowledge and experience with Granite circuit database including Work Orders, building paths, etc.
Even better if you have:
- Familiarity with Dark Fiber vendors, our organizational processes and standards, as well as our network portfolio maps is preferred.
- Familiarity with Nokia switch, our organizational processes and standards, as well as our network is preferred.
- Proficient in office computer applications: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Project.
- Executive level troubleshooting, problem solving, project management, and interpersonal skills.
- Decision making skills (by making appropriate use of all available information and data; anticipating the future and preparing accordingly; recognizing the impact of decisions upon the rest of the organization; receiving broad guidance; being accountable for broad project results; and being responsible for the leadership of broad programs in support of organizational or area strategies)
- Superior organizational and planning skills (setting and communicating priorities; anticipating workload impact on resources of both self and team; delegating where appropriate; consistently following up on outstanding items; and providing focus in meetings and discussions). Ability to learn new technology quickly and apply working knowledge of wireless engineering on new projects.
- Must be self-motivated, show initiative, and be able to work independently.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills needed.
- Need to be highly productive and pay close attention to detail.
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Click here for more info: http://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/7620280-interconnect-engineer-transport-network
• Post ID: 76727122 chicago